- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Welcome to Lake Magadi
- This tour starts and ends in Nairobi, Kenya
- Price quoted for this day trip is for a single traveler alone in a private car. Request a special quote for a group.
- The tour can depart any day
The most mineral-rich of the Rift Valley’s soda lakes is Lake Magadi, southwest of Nairobi. It is almost entirely covered by a thick encrustation of soda that supports small colonies of flamingos and gives the landscape a bizarre lunar appearance. It makes an interesting day trip from Nairobi, especially if you have enough time to visit Olorgesailie Prehistoric Site en route. A prehistoric day Trip excursion from Nairobi
The journey to Olorgesailie prehistoric site is a dramatic one, climbing over the slopes of the Ngong Hills before descending into the Great Rift Valley and Maasailand.
The site is some 60 km from the city center and was once, about half a million years ago, a hunters’ camp on the edge of a now-vanished lake.
The small but excellent site museum at Olorgesailie was recently renovated, and holds exhibits on human evolution, stone tools, and site formation. A raised wooden catwalk has been built around an impressive in situ display of stone tools and animal fossils, all dating from 1.2 million years ago. Also at the site is a large picnic shade and four camping cottages, which can be rented on a self-help basis. The area can be very hot.
Lake Magadi is located in the southern Kenya. This 104 sq. km soda lake is completely surrounded by vast natural salt flats. These sweltering hot plains prevent animals from reaching the alkaline lake at its center. For this reason, thousands of flamingo descend on the lake each year to nest on elevated mud mounds at the lake’s edge safe from any potential predators. Freshwater springs at the Lake’s shore attract a host of other birds.
Day 1: Nairobi to Lake Magadi
7.30am - Pick and drive to lake Magadi with a stop brief stop at Kona Baridi to enjoy the cool breeze Photos and scenic views across the Great Rift Valley.
8.30am- Arrive at Olorgesailie prehistoric site for visit-tour of the site and learning about the previous inhabitants of the area
10.00am- Arrive Lake Magadi- meet your Local Masai Guide
10.30am to 3 pm - Dipping at the lake, walks, Lunch (natural hot water spring is believed by the local people that the water is said to be more auspicious and a dip in the lake drives away all skin diseases like eczema, allergic rashes, and many more ailments
5.30pm- Drop back to your hotel
- Main destination: Lake Magadi
- Accommodation: Back to your Hotel or Residents
- Meals & drinks: Breakfast & lunch (Dinner not included)Drinking water while on the safari (Other drinks not included)
End of tour
- Additional accommodation can be arranged for extra cost.
- You'll be dropped off at the airport (or hotel).
- Park fees
- Transport from Nairobi to Magadi and back
- A professional driver/guide
- All Taxes/VAT
- Meals (Lunch)
- Drinking water (on all days)
- International flights (from/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Travel cover and medical covers
- Any item not mentioned in the inclusives
No Details Found